Monday, October 21, 2013

Luke's Spaghetti Meat Sauce

I promised I would share my home made marinara sauce.  It truly is the simplest dish, yet I have never made it for anyone without getting compliment after compliment!  Try it out and wow your honey tonight!  I call it Luke's sauce because it was one of the first dinner's I attempted to make for him when we were married.  My original recipe came from a jar...it took me a few years to figure out this one, and I have never strayed from it.

Luke's Spaghetti Meat Sauce

1 1b. lean beef
1  medium sized onion (sometimes, I am not in the mood for the onion and leave it out) Great both      ways
4 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of fresh basil
salt and pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes  (if you are nervous about the spice, omit or add just a sprinkle)
2 - 28 oz cans of Crushed tomatoes
1/4 - 1/2 cup of red wine (use a wine that you would drink)


Heat a few tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauce pan or skillet.
Brown the meat.  When the meat is browned and cooked through- drain and set aside
In the same pan reheat a few more tablespoons of olive oil.  Saute the onion for about 2 minutes, then add the garlic.  Sprinkle of salt and pepper.

After the onion and garlic have cooked for a few minutes, add the meat back to the pan.  Another sprinkle of salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper.  Pour in both cans of crushed tomatoes,  chop of 1/2 of your basil (leave the rest for the end) and add 1/2 cup of red wine.

***Moms- At this time, grab a wine glass and also pour yourself a cup.  It makes the cooking more pleasant and relaxes you at the end of your busy day.  If it is the morning and you are preparing the sauce for dinner that night...well maybe hold off on the wine and have a nice cup of coffee.  :)
If it is late in the afternoon and you are beginning the dish, there is no shame in an afternoon glass of wine!

Bring sauce to a gentle boil and immediately turn down to medium low and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes - 1 hour.  I believe this is one of the secrets to a great sauce!  Let it cook for a long time.

Before serving, chop up the rest of your fresh basil and toss it in.  It brings a freshness back to your dish.  (add as much as you want, you can't go wrong here)  Salt and pepper if needed.
* If you don't have fresh basil, then add about 2-3 Tbls. of dried basil when you are sauteing the onion and garlic.
I learned from a chef that when using dry herbs, toss them in with the other ingredients that you are sauteing...it wakes them up!


Serve over your favorite whole wheat or whole grain pasta, or gluten free pasta if needed.

I love to serve Spaghetti over Angel Hair pasta, it tends to keep it a little lighter and you don't feel horribly heavy after eating it.
I also serve it with Whole Wheat Penne pasta as well.  (honestly-I use whatever is in my pantry)

Enjoy!









2 comments:

  1. Made some last night for friends and it was amazing! Thanks for the recipe! I do have a quick question: do you typically mince or chop the garlic?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the late reply! I somehow missed your question...I usually mince my garlic. Also, remember to toss the garlic in after you have begun sauteing the onion-it will prevent the garlic from burning! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete