Monday, December 9, 2013

Falling in Love with Cooking- Tip #3

-French Music-

I love all kinds of music.   I am classically trained.  I was raised on Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy, and many more.  I am a worship leader.  I write country and Americana music, I have a children’s lullaby album, and I am married to a man who introduces me to so much music it keeps my head spinning.  However, when it comes to cooking, pretty much one type for me:  French Music.

My sister got me hooked on great French music.  Luke is always asking me to change up the music when I cook, and that is when I say, “Oh honey, too many cooks in the kitchen.”  He gets to choose the music for clean up time after the meal, I choose the music for cooking time.  That is our arrangement.  As I said before, you will almost never walk into my kitchen during dinner time and not find French music serenading me in the background.  Now, if for some reason I forget to turn the music on, Jonah, my 3 1/2 yr. old, will always remind me during dinner, "Mom, we need French music while we eat."  No joke.

  Some of my favorite choices:  Edith Piaf, Django Reinhardt, Hans Zimmer, Eartha Kitt, Stephane Grapelli, and the great Charles Aznavour.  I am not saying that you have to cook to French music, but you might want to give it a try, I swear, it makes the food more beautiful.  If it isn’t French, than pick your favorite, but remember, try to make it pleasant and peaceful music, something that calms you.  This is your time of the day to let down and give a big sigh of relief.

Once in awhile I will stray from my French music and you might just walk into my kitchen and hear   Madeleine Peyroux.  She is another one of my favorite artists.  Her voice immediately makes you melt.  You want to look for the nearest bottle of wine, pour a sizable glass, and just disappear into her melodies.  She is pretty dreamy, so if you have not heard of her, please check her out!





No comments:

Post a Comment