Sunday, November 24, 2013

Falling in Love with Cooking - Tip #2

-A Great, Sharp Knife-

 This revolutionized my cooking.  I have a beautiful, expensive knife set.   I use ONE knife at all times.   A great chef knife, or Santoku knife.  That is all you need.  If you spent less that $100 on a knife, it is probably not a great knife.  They are usually around $99.00 or more in a store (I purchased mine at Bed Bath and Beyond)  and you will use it forever.  It is worth every penny, and truly makes cooking more fun. You can find them a little cheaper on Amazon.  See links below.

My family teases me, because when I vacation at a beach house or cabin, you will always find my Santoku knife, wrapped in a dish cloth in one of my grocery bags.  I literally cannot go somewhere else and cook without it.  And guess who comes and borrows my knife for the whole vacation...my family members!    It ruined one of my vacations once because I was stuck with the cabin’s cheap serrated knife for the whole week!  I have never made that mistake again....I’m really not kidding, that is the pathetic part!

I am obsessed with cooking with a sharp, good knife.  And if you spend the money on a great knife, spend another $25 or more on a great knife sharpener.  A great knife is useless if it is dull.  It is just as frustrating.   If you think a knife doesn’t matter, and it wouldn’t make a difference to you, then I will tell you now....you have been using a cheap terrible knife.  Because once you prep food with a great knife, you can’t go back.   My Santoku knife I have had for 6 years, and use it for everything!





Santoku knife on Amazon - Buy Here

Santoku knife with sharpener- Buy Here

2 comments:

  1. What she writes is true...I verify it. Her baby--I mean, her Santoku knife--goes with her. Creepy, yes, but when you see Bek wheeling it in the air and chopping an onion at record speed...you kind-of get it. What she didn't write, or what she failed to mention, was her obsession with "using the knife correctly." Every holiday, every cabin vacation, and when we eventually make it on our beach vacation together, I am confident and most certain, that her eyes will rest unwaveringly on me as I chop my first carrot or onion. It's always the same. Her eyes, my nervousness, her slow steps towards me, my nervousness, my back turning to shield her view, her voice, "Do you want me to give you a lesson on how to cut/chop correctly?"

    I suppose it has become a form of art for her. It's about precision, rhythm, position. Anyone can sit down and play a piano, but not many can create a masterpiece. My musician sister can and somehow she has transported her musical excellence into cutting. The cutting board, the knife, the position, the speed--it becomes an experience. Who knew that chopping an onion would become so exciting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so exciting! If you would only let me teach you my ways Jessica!

    ReplyDelete